Thursday 6 December 2012

Kıbrıs part II . An International sense of hospitality!

Let's continue the story of the trip which now starts being pretty old...


This wants to be a tribute to the great and warm HOSPITALITY of Turkey and not only.





Thanks to Couch Surfing but not necessary I found wonderful persons during my excursions out of Antep.

For example in Nicosia I stayed three days in a little interesting house - a typical cipriot one - small and linked to other similar houses within a residential district. Onur my host welcomed me as if I were his far away living cousin and draw a fantastic map of the aerea which is a real labyrinth :-) Even with his help, I got lost several times during my trip to the greek side.

Because he is turkish, he cannot go on the other side which is so european, with all the negative that this word can include: international shopping centers, crowded and expensive bar and cafés, shopping offers and sales everywhere and the typical flux of a touristic capital on a summer day.

There is such a big presence of philippines on the other side! They were having lunch in the public street and they reunite to chat and drink in small squares. Also you can find philippines super markets with their products!



After the days spent in his flat, with the company of his goshty roommate and of the even more gosthy dark three kittens, I didn't want to leave but I had to !

In Larnaca I found hospitality in Inal, an indian generous and kind guy.
He is living out in a village called Athino, a few km far from the city centre. He and his indian friends are living all close to the others in a shared flat. They found a job as employers in a bakery and in a chicken factory. I ate an indian dinner and tasted the smells of this far and colorful country!




And, joke of the fate!, the following night I was with the company of a young journalist from Pakistan, in Girne.

That happened with a couch (desperate) request: I missed the boat to Mersin and needed a host!

He picked me up with his motorbike and brought me to the redaction in which he works. It was such an interesting experience for me getting to know a real redaction in such a strange place like the Republic of Northern Cyprus. And even more curious, to know an asian university student of journalism, that actually is what I have also studied.
Umair, this is his name, was very kind and open to explain to me the reasons of his departure to the Island and I found them interesting. First of all, I guess he wanted to move out of his Country and improve his language skills (English and Turkish in this case), secondly but maybe most important, he mentioned the salary. Yes, in Cyprus the salary is good, surely higher that Turkey and of course higher than Pakistan. And some links connect the Countries: Tueky and Pakistan have been allied in the past and still the alliance is alive.


Thanks Umair for the amazing breakfast on the terrace of Girne bay!

And then, it was time to be back, but not without mentioning a wonderful girl who saved my night in Mersin: Serra. An english teacher with a family of tradition in teaching, as all of her sisters (and we are talking of a turkish family, so veryyyy huge) are teaching some subject.
She offered me a nutritional breakfast including scrambled eggs, local cheese, olives, tomatoes and bread, and the new surprising Hurnup Pekmezi, that I bought immediately once back in Antep.

Here is a picture of the Gipsy horses that were resting that morning in Mersin. I hope to be back to shoot some more fotos of the incredibles hosts and persons of this Country and not only!!





No comments:

Post a Comment